A recent survey on flying insects revealed that Wayanad is home to nearly 330 varieties of butterflies, including about 41 endemic species. Following this discovery, plans are on to set up a natural butterfly park in the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary and butterfly gardens at Muthanga and Tholpetty in the district.
Fifty two species of skippers, 34 species of blues, 17 varieties of swallow tails, 23 pierids and 66 types of Nymphalids were found during the survey, conducted in 14 locations in the district by State Wild Life Department in association with Hume Centre for ecology and Wildlife Biology, a district based research organization. The rare species of butterflies spotted here include Baronet, Baby Five Ring, Black Price, Colour Sergeant and Spot Puffin.
According to Mr. V.K. Sreevalsan, warden of the Wayanad wildlife sanctuary, the plan is to develop host and nectar plants of butterflies and grow them on massive patches in the forest.
- Thenmala Butterfly Park
- Explore Wayanad – Calicut tour package (4 Days / 3 Nights)
- Wayanad Wonders ( 4 Days / 3 Nights )
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Wayanad records Good visitors Inflow
- Tholpetty – must visit eco-tourism centre in Wayanad tourism
- Splash 2011 – Wayanad Monsoon tourism Festival
- Nikon School Outdoor Photography Workshop at Jim Corbett National Park
- Bio-diversity Park Suvarnodhyanam in CIAL, Cochin
- Shenduruney Wildlife Sanctuary