Not much princely state in pre- independent India had two capitals; one where royalty sat and took decisions and another where its minions sat and dispensed royal diktats. The erstwhile Cochin State was one such. The hamlet-like Tripunithura was the abode of royalty, while the neighboring sleepy town of Ernakulam housed the secretariat, judiciary and other sundry officialdom. (more…)
All posts tagged Tripunithura
The year was 1898, On a sultry summer morning, the then Maharaja of Cochin State, Sir Sri Rama Varma, was closeted with his Diwan, Sir P Rajagopalachari. The issue that was agitating their mind was the non-completion of the railway line from Shornur in the north to the capital city of Ernakulam, down south, for want of funds. They had already scraped the proverbial ‘bottom of the pot’. Both were at their wits’ end. (more…)
Lucky Ali and his team is coming to cochin for a rocking performance and to sooth the ears of Kochinites. Jt pac invited the well-known singer and actor Lucky Ali to perform in their own theatre .The live in concert is titled “SUR” will be held on March 27th, 2011 at Jt pac, Tripunithura. Lucky Ali will mesmerize and overwhelm you and force the audience to leave their chairs and dance to his tunes. A sizable crowd is expected to gather to see the live performance of this light eyed Lucky Ali. The concert will start from 7 pm onwards. (more…)
Hill Palace Tripunithura was the administrative seat and residence of Kochi royal family, was being built in 1865 by Kochi Maharaja. As the palace was being constructed on a hillock, it is known as Hill Palace. This 19th century building is situated on Ernakulam- Chottanikkara route, so close to Tripunithura at a distance of 2 kms and is 12 kms away from Ernakulam. It spans over 54 acres and consists 49 buildings. Single storied ‘Ettukettu’ with an adjacent pond, temple and kulappura, was constructed in typical Kerala architecture is the oldest structure here. The roof of the palace is perfectly done by Mangalore tiles which gives great protection from heavy downpour, longevity and asthetic appearance. The other buildings are a combination of traditional and western architecture.
Hill palace was taken over by the Department Of Archaeology in 1980 and converted it into a Museum. The complex has Kerala’s largest archaeological museum and first ever heritage museum, a deer park, a pre-historic park and a children’s park. It was opened to the public in 1986. It has neatly maintained garden with fountains, ponds and lawns and rare medicinal plants are growing in the surrounding palace land. There is also a grave of Pareekshith Thampuran near the museum.
The museum displays finest 14 categories of articles donated by Kochi & Travancore royal families and the Paliam Devaswom which includes murals, paintings, coins, sculptures in stone and plaster of paris, manuscripts, inscriptions, carvings, archeological findings. The museum is preserving gold crown, ornaments & precious stones of Maharaja era.
An institute set up by the Department of Cultural Affairs, operates here in the Hill Palace.
The famous Malayalam film Manichithrathazhu was shot here in the palace.
The palace is open except Mondays from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm.