Things to do and know in Munnar
Things to Know in Munnar
- Munnar Panchayat in the Devikulam block is the largest Panchayat in the Idukki district
- Kottagudi Aerial Ropeway – for the transportation of tea and materials in Kannan devan tea estate.
- Visit tribal hamlets, get a glimpse of peculiar tribal customs, their way of life and festivals.
- Never miss the Indo-Swiss cattle-breeding centre cum dairy project here.
- Munnar has at least 30 tea plantations in and around Munnar, among which majority of them are owned by Tata Group’s Kannan Devan Tea Estate.
- Kollukkumallay, the highest tea garden in the country, situated at 7,900 ft above sea level.
- The Duke of Wellington was the first European visited Munnar.
- Experience Elephant Safari in the Wild Life Sanctuaries of Munnar.
Things to do
- Trekking & Hiking – Wild life sanctuaries in Munnar offers good trekking trails and you have to take prior sanction from the authority.
- Tea Plantation Visits – Visit to tea plantations help to understand how tea crops are grown, processed and taste a cup of hot tea.
- Spice plantation tours – visit aromatic vanilla and cardmom spice plantations
- Boating and Fishing – Take a boat ride in Mattupetty dam and indulge in fishing near river banks
- Bicycle Rides – Best way to experience Munnar
- Rock climbing and rappelling – it will test stamina of extreme adventurers. Munnar has steep rocks ideal for rock climbing and rappelling. Rappelling is systematically and controlledly descending down a rock by using the rope.
- Paragliding and tandem jumping.- adventure sport in the air – Minimum flying time is 10 minutes and can be extended till 1 hr depends on climate .
Shopping in Munnar
- Tea, spices and herbs are must buy items in Munnar.
- Handicrafts, tribal artifacts and wooden artifacts can be bought from Munnar.
- Tata Tea Sales Outlet – Tea
- Shristhi Welfare Centre –Strawberry, Spices.
All major hotels have restaurants and provide international style foods.
- Rapsy Restaurant – Located at the Munnar main bazar. Small and affordable restaurant.
- Hotel Saravan Bhavan – This vegetarian restaurant has South Indian vegetarian food.
- Hotel Brothers serves one dish – fish curry with tapioca.
- Edassery Eastend – Expensive food
- Krishna Fast Food – Serve Pastries and Snacks here
- Tall Trees – Multi Cuisine Restaurant