Kalaripayattu is the world famous martial art form of Keralaand it is also considered as the mother of all martial arts. Kalaripayattu is the oldest existing martial art form, dating back more than 3000 years and said to be the forerunner of popularly known Chinese martial arts, as the Buddhist monk Bodhidharma took this knowledge from India to China. The Kalaripayattu were revived in Kerala in the 20th century, mainly due to the efforts C.V Narayana Panikker and his disciples who established CVN Kalari all over Kerala. (more…)
All posts tagged Kalaripayattu
Kerala Kalari Centre at Thekkady, Kerala conduct performances of Kalaripayattu, the oldest of martial arts. Here daily Kalari performances were conducted in Kuzhikalari, a highly designed gallery built in such a way that the viewers can watch the performances from a safer distance. Daily performances is from 6 pm to 7pm . Special shows also conducted on request.’ (more…)
Aayukshetram Ayurvedic Health Resort managed by Vasudeva Vilasam Aryavaidyasala, traditional name in Ayurvedic health care service since 1884, Aayukshetram, is the Ayurvedic re-treatment located in Nedumangad near Thiruvananthapuram. This boutique hill side Kerala Ayurvedic Health Resort is set on four acres with panoramic view of beautiful hills. (more…)
Meenmutty Heights is perched on the picturesque hills of Wayanad near the meenmutty waterfalls. Set in a two hundred acre estate of tea and coffee gardens, accommodation comprises seven studio suites including three individual cottages. The spacious suit furnished in ethnic style, inclusive of modern amenities and with breathtaking views of the tea estates and Meenmutty River. The cottages are surrounded on all four sides by serene green tea gardens and orchards with spice and fruit trees, including pepper, cardamom, vanilla, asafetida, cloves, avocado, mangostin, areca nut, sweet lime, orange trees, jack fruit trees, plantain, etc. The Kerala resort also has its own vegetable farm. (more…)
Arjuna, the outstanding warrior, was also a master in dance and music. Arjuna Nritham is devoted to Arjuna, the diligent student of Guru Dhronacharya, whose power of concentration is well-known. Arjuna appeased Goddess Bhadrakali (the Hindu Goddess of Eternal Energy) through a devotional dance presentation and it is believed that this dance form was Arjuna Nritham.
Arjuna Nritham is also known as Mayilpeeli Nritham. The costume of this dance form is made up of Mayilpeeli or peacock feathers for which Lord Krishna has a special penchant, thereby symbolizing one of the facets of the relationship between Krishna and Arjuna. This ritual art form is performed throughout the night in the Bhagavathy temples of mainly Kollam and Alappuzha. (more…)
Nestled in a setting of lush paddy fields and hills, Kalari Kovilakam of the CGH Earth Group in Kollengode, Palakkad is a two-and half hour drive through the countryside from the Cochin International Airport. Kovilakom,as the name suggests, was once a palace. It housed the daughters of the royal family of Vengunad, the traning ground for kerala,s renowned martrial art form, Kalaripayattu. Today, Kalari Kovilakom has been restored and recreated into a unique experience in wellness with modern facilities,but without compromising on the palace’s original spirit. (more…)
Things to do and know in Kovalam
- Kovalam is one of the cleanest and safest beaches in the world.
- Enjoy Kerala traditional art forms like Kathakali, Kalaripayattu.
- 10 day long The Gramam Kerala Village Fair takes place during the month of January- typical Kerala Village is recreated on Kovalam beaches with thatched Nalukettu and local tea shops.
- The great elephant march takes place on Kovalam beach mid-January. Nearly 100 elephants make a stylish parade before tourists. Tourists will get opportunities for Elephant rides and Elephant feeding.
- Must experience traditional Ayurvedic Treatment.
- Just relax on sea sand sipping tender coconut water and gaze at blue sea.
- White sand beach is the perfect place for yoga practice & meditation.
Must to do
- Beach combing or simply enjoying the most breathtaking sunset.
- Water Sports – You can indulge in water sports like Beach-volley, water skiing, para sailing, kayaking, skiing, windsurfing etc. Must do Snorkeling while you can see patches of coral reefs.
- Walk along the seashore on moonlit nights.
- Backwater cruise provides enchanting view of nearby village life.
- Visit Vizhinjam village, which is fishing village. Also visit Marine Aquarium near Theatre junction.
Shopping in Kovalam
- Buy Kerala souvenirs, handicraft items,sea shell prodcts paintings – Little Tibet Arts (between Malabar and Coconut Grove Restaurant)
Kovalam Cuisine – regional food
- Being located on seashore, Kovalam presents wide array of sea food items. The delicacies include tiger prawns, lobster, mussels, squid, crab etc.
- Must taste Teesria (juicy clams) prepared in coconut milk
- The German Bakery – A full range of baked goods are available
- Bethel, (down the alleyway between Fusion and Swiss Cafe) and Suprabatham – Vegetarian Restaurants
- Fruit Ladies – for all kinds of fruits
- Kovalam Junction and Fusion restaurant, Light House Beach – Excellent Non vegetarian and sea food menus
- You can try food from Sea Face Dosa Camp, Lonely Planet, Garcia…..