The State Water Transport Department (SWTD), the provider of cost-efficient water transport in Kerala, geared to launch Alappuzha-Kollam luxury boat service. Tourists can now experience Kerala in a whole new way by travelling through its backwaters in style. SWTD is confident to reap profits of Rs. 80 lakh this tourist season on this long backwater stretch.
The services will begin from Alappuzha and Kollam jettys simultaneously at 10:30 AM every day, passing various places of historical importance like Karumadikuttan (Buddha statue) and Kumarakodi, the resting place of Malayalam poet Kumaranasan at Pallana. The boat will also stop at other villages and ashrams, during the seven hour journey. You can see the swaying coconut trees, ancient temples and villages dotted along the winding water ways of God’s Own Country. The boats are made of steel, furnished with all modern facilities can accommodate 80 passengers.
The Department will ply double-decker luxury boats from Kuttanad region aimed at showcasing the natural beauty of the interior regions of Kuttanad to both foreign and domestic travelers and to give them an authentic experience of the coir villages, paddy fields, and backwaters of Kerala. It will be operated as tourism-cum-passenger services. It will take holidaymakers to all nooks and corners of Kuttanad where paddy field cultivation is undertaken below the sea level.
The new project will benefit not only for the tourists but also for daily commuters, for there will be additional trips apart from the existing ones. The routine passenger will travel in the lower deck in normal rates and upper deck are reserved for tourists which costs high rate. A one-way trip will cost Rs 300 and those who book in advance will also get a discount.
- 59 th Nehru Trophy boat race – Nehru Trophy boat race 2011 on August 13th on Punnamada Lake, Alappuzha
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race, Alappuzha
- Snake Boat Race – Rowing Through Hearts!
- Tata Motors Divo – Inter city AC luxury bus to hit Indian roads
- Adventure Park, Kollam
- NRHM to launch Lifestyle clinics in Kerala to improve state health parameters.
- Sikhs in Kochi are geared to celebrate 407 th Prakash Utsav of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji
- Houseboat Journey in Alappuzha Backwaters
- Kerala Tourism ties up with Zapak to launch an interactive online game
- Alappuzha Backwater