A registered charitable trust, Kerala Backwater Tourism Promotional Council (K.B.T.P.C) is the first Kerala backwater tourism association to incorporate into its business charters, a commitments to Kerala Responsible Travel and Tourism.
For the implementation of an intervention the trust restricts its role to that of a catalyst, coordinator and facilitators, encouraging necessary participation of the rural community and entrepreneurs.
Kerala backwaters face a considerable pollution threat due to many reasons.The steady reduction of water levels due to construction and the increase in chemical discharges into the waters, depletion of marine life, fish stocks and rare birds. Further, increased human activities along the banks are also affecting the backwaters and its fragile ecosystem. Even the soaking of coconut husks in the backwaters, a process involvrd in coir-making, releases toxic compounds that like the flora and fauna. Backwaters and rivers are vulnerable, to not only effluent pollution but also oil pollution, through the excessive use of motor-driven boats. The backwaters are also being eaten up due to encroachment and reclamation.
The Kerala backwaters cannot be saved unless we implement principle of good governance such as accountability, stakeholder involvement and reansparency should be enforced.
It is to this end that K.B.T.P.C’s sustainable Kerala travel guidelines are based on 5 key objectives:
- to protect the environment- its flora, fauna and landscapes
- to respect local cultures traditions, religions and built heritage
- to benefit local communities, both economically and socially
- to conserve natural resources-from office to destination
- to minimize pollution caused through noise, waste disposal and congestion.
- Kerala Tourism promotes Pollution Free Tourism
- Responsible Kerala Travel
- Alappuzha Backwater
- Kerala Travel and Tourism Campaign – Go Kerala
- Kerala Travel and Kerala Tourism Tips
- Kumarakom Backwater
- Kerala Tourism bagged best stand award at FITUR 2011, in Madrid, Spain
- Heli Tourism to redefine Kerala Tourism Industry
- Kerala Tourism has won the ‘Best Domestic Tourism Board’ award
- Kerala Tourism | role of Kerala people