Kerala has won many accolades as a top rated tourism destination. To retain and promote Kerala’s position in the top slot, it is highly desirable that the Government takes up the promotion of specific destinations as Special Tourism Zones (STZ) in areas that have good tourism potential in and around the states’ tourism destinations.
Poovar region, Munnar, Thekkady, Bekal, Kovalam, Fort Kochi, Wayanad should be recognized as Special Economic Zones. The development of these places and their satellite destinations at STZs would encourage investment and will generate employment there. Apart from creating lamd banks for hotels, simplifying the rules for setting up tourism projects and providing single window clearance for projects, the government should take the lead in equipping these destinations with proper infrastructural facilities including accommodation and shopping and entertainment hubs, ensuring safety and security for tourists, maintenance of heritage structures and monuments, etc. All activities can be done in co-ordination with the private sector. STZ should be planned in a way that they blend with the socio cultural set up and sentiments of the local population which should be the beneficiary of such projects.
Though tourism has had industry status in Kerala since a long time, the concessions that it has been granted have not always been on par with that accorded to other industries like IT. It is time that the Government recognised Kerala tourism’s worthy contribution which could be further strengthened by developing STZs and tourism infrastructure in the state.
- Saparya–Kerala tourism initiative to boost Community tourism
- Kerala Tourism promotes Pollution Free Tourism
- 2011 budget allocation for Kerala Tourism Sector
- Kerala Honeymoon Special
- Google to promote Kerala Tourism
- Enhancing E-readiness to Kerala Tourism
- Kerala Tourism website bags PATA award
- Kerala Tourism | role of Kerala people
- Ashtamudi Lake, Kollam get New Kerala Tourism Circuits
- Kerala tourism needs a toilet revolution in Kerala