Kerala Tourism formulated project for the development of Kuttanad in the Allappuzha region. The project will be an ideal responsible and sustainable tourism model through active participation of local community. The entire region is unique for its vast stretches of paddy fields, network of small and large canals and unique rural setting and life.
A study report had been prepared for infrastructure development in Kuttanad and surrounding backwaters. Based on the study, a master plan will be prepared which can bring about a massive change in the tourism sector in Kuttanad. It aims to develop a specific rural tourism product centered on Kuttanad making it a gateway of Alappuzha. The plan targets to provide infrastructure facilities for development of farm tourism in the region, formation of home stay clusters in the village to provide needed accommodation for tourists.
Kuttanad will be given more emphasis for infrastructure development in Kerala in the 12th Five Year Plan of the Union Tourism Ministry. The plan and estimate have been prepared and the project could be completed with an estimated cost of Rs 150 crore. A portion of the fund will be provided by the Union Government and the rest will be met from other sources, including the fund of the Tourism Department.
The project will try to maximum conserve and preserve the nature and environment. All the above mentioned eco friendly practices will be adopted with the project so as to enhance the environment and tourist experience.
Kuttanad Tourism project will be one of its kind in the state and will become a role model for developing similar such projects in various destinations in the state.
- Alleppey Tourism Development Co-operative Society
- Saparya–Kerala tourism initiative to boost Community tourism
- Ranipuram Ecotourism Project
- Kerala Tourism Development Corporation Hotels
- Kerala Tourism – Need for Special Tourism Zones
- 2011 budget allocation for Kerala Tourism Sector
- Kerala Tourism Development Corporation
- Elegant Mementos from Kerala Tourism
- Enhancing E-readiness to Kerala Tourism
- Ashtamudi Lake, Kollam get New Kerala Tourism Circuits