Ban on plastic bags in Kochi implemented by Kochi Corporation, has stated that the decision of ban on plastic carry bags of less than 40 microns from January 16, which is based on the judgement of the Apex Court. The corporation will impose fines if people do not support its plastic ban policy.
The civic body has given a grace period of one week for traders and merchants to dispose their stock of plastic bags. The squads will inspect the shops and commercial establishments, plans to crack down on the sale and use, and create awareness among the masses.
As part of spreading awareness among the masses, the corporation has chalked out plans to engage the services of about 1,000 students from city schools, who will be divided into 50 groups. Plans are also in the offing to incorporate a campaign in schools from next academic year
The support of Kudumbasree units will be sought for the production and marketing of carry bags made of alternative materials like cloth and paper. The cooperation of residents’ associations has also been sought for making the ban effective. The city needs to go back to the earlier mode of shopping where one used to carry bags to shops than depend on the plastic bags.
- Kovalam becomes plastic free with Plastic-free Kovalam project
- Cochin Corporation – administrates city of Kochi
- Kochi Corporation planning to introduce a grading system for restaurants
- Kochi Corporation level Keralotsavam 2011 -12
- Kerala Tourism website bags PATA award
- Kerala Tourism Development Corporation Hotels
- Kerala Tourism Development Corporation
- Malaysia visa application office in Kochi – boost to Tourism between Malaysia and Kerala
- AMET cruise starts from Kochi in October and Kochi joins global cruise line club
- India’s first Oceanarium in Puthuvypeen, Kochi