Eight location on the bank of the Ashtamudi Lake, Kollam, one of the nerve centres of the backwater tourism in Kerala, have been identified by the Union Government – supported Ashtamudi Tourism Circuit Project. Mr. M. Sivasankar, director, Tourism Department of Kerala who inspected the locations has stated that the places identified are the Kollam Boat Jetty, Sambranikudy, Veerabhadra Swamy Temple, Pattamthuruthu, Munroe Thuruthu, Vallakadavu, Palliyamthuruthu and Kuthiramunambu.
The project proposal will be submitted to the centre, which will be followed by administrative sanction from the State Government. The Centre has offered a sum of Rs 8 crore as financial support for the circuit development.
Inspection of the location was done to avoid the problems that could crop up after the implementation of the project. An alternative location would be identified if the inspection team feels that serious hassles are likely at any of the locations. As the Tourism Department was keen to commission the circuit at the earliest after obtaining the administrative sanction, the project report was being sent after the adhoc inspection.
- Quick information on Kollam
- The Backwater Retreat, Ashtamudi
- Heli Tourism to redefine Kerala Tourism Industry
- Kerala Travel and Tourism Campaign – Go Kerala
- 2011 budget allocation for Kerala Tourism Sector
- Kerala Tourism promotes Pollution Free Tourism
- Kerala Tourism bagged best stand award at FITUR 2011, in Madrid, Spain
- Nani, boutique hotel at Kollam
- Splash – Wayanad Monsoon Tourism
- Ashtamudi Home Stay