Kerala tourism is booming industry and one of the most important sector in Kerala. The international tourist inflow is to Kerala is high; Kerala has found tourism emerging as an important sector of its economy. Therefore, there is a conscious attempt by Government to develop this Kerala tourism sector.
The increasing budget allocation in the recent years shows the resolve of the Kerala government in its support to the tourism sector. Tourism yields substantial foreign exchange for Kerala. It is turning into a volume game where a large number of participants are contributing to the revenue of the industry. Segments such as hotels, tour operators, airlines, etc., are significant contributors to this revenue.
Increasing attention has been given by the Kerala government to develop sustainable and responsible tourism by implementing measures. Kerala Government efforts to develop tourism was set off to several development objectives such as, increasing foreign exchange earnings ,government revenue ,per capita income of Keralites and employment, and fostering regional development.
Kerala Tourism Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan opined that Kerala Tourism industry accrued higher priority from the government in budget towards tourism marketing and developmental schemes.
The 2011 budget proposal of the Kerala Government was unfolded by Finance Minister Thomas Issac. Government has allocated Rs. 1050 million, out of which Rs. 600 million has been set aside to take up infrastructure works in tourism destinations across the State. The operation of tourism facilities, services and amenities are often dependent on a number of travel infrastructure networks. These networks may include transportation, water supply, energy/power and telecommunications. The concentrated effort has been given to the development of basic infrastructure for tourism in the recent periods. Separate allocation for infrastructure is a welcome move in the Kerala budget 2011.
Total allotment earmarked for Tourism 2011-2012: Rs.105 crore
Notable tourism related budget allocations are :-
- Setting up of KTDC Hotels & Resorts in Alappuzha and Kozhikode – 50 million
- Kerala Travel Mart activities -10 million
- Muziris Heritage Project – 30 million
- Fort Kochi – Mattancherry conservation project – 10 million
- Thalassery Heritage project- 20 million
- Kerala Travel and Tourism Campaign – Go Kerala
- Kerala Tourism | role of Kerala people
- Kerala Tourism promotes Pollution Free Tourism
- Kerala Tourism ad film ‘Your Moment is Waiting’ wins award at Berlin
- Kerala Travel and Kerala Tourism Tips
- Splash – Wayanad Monsoon Tourism
- Responsible Kerala Travel
- Kerala first health mall BCG Health Square
- Kochi starting point of Kerala tour and Kerala travel
- Lulu International Convention Center – a part of MICE Tourism